Region: Africa (Eritrea)
MBS is proud to have assisted Danakali Limited with the successful environmental project approvals of their Colluli Potash Project in Eritrea, on the Horn of Africa.
Colluli Potash Project is a 50:50 Joint Venture between Danakali Limited and the Eritrean National Mining Company (ENAMCO). The proposed mine is located within the Danakil Depression, part of the Great Rift Valley on the Eritrea - Ethiopia border, with export facilities on the Eritrean Red Sea coastline. Drilling commenced in early 2010 and over 1 billion tonnes of potassium bearing salts for the production of potash have been identified. MBS has assisted Danakali Limited in the following areas:
- Review of existing baseline study reports.
- Facilitation of submission of baseline reports to the government.
- Completion of further baseline studies.
- Participation in feasibility study activities.
- Participation in Eritrean regulatory meetings and site visits.
- Preparation of Social and Environmental Impact Assessment (SEIA) documentation for submission to Eritrean regulatory authorities.
- Preparation of Social and Environmental Management Plan (SEMP) documentation and monitoring plans.
- Development of a Mine Closure Plan to accompany the SEIA document.
- Managing GIS data relevant to environmental and social aspects of the project.
- Development of the Environmental Social and Safety Environmental Management System and documentation in readiness for operations.