MBS Environmental has been involved with the Mt Gordon Operation (previously named Gunpowder Copper) in northwest Queensland since 1998. Mt Gordon has a long and varied history with mining commencing in the 1920’s and as a result has significant historic environmental legacies, most of which are associated with management of acid mine drainage, complicated by the site being located in rugged terrain in a sub-tropical environment.
MBS has provided a broad range of environmental services to Mt Gordon’s various owners including:
- Corporate environmental support.
- Environmental business planning.
- Preparation of environmental approval documents (Environmental Management Plans, Plan of Operations and Environmental Authorities).
- Development of an Environmental Management System.
- Development of Environmental Improvement Programs.
- Development of Voluntary Environmental Management Programs and Transitional Environmental Programs.
- Waste rock characterisation and management.
- Development of high level Mine Closure Plans.
- Financial assurance calculations.
- Water treatment for poor quality waters retained onsite.
- Development and supervision of water reduction strategies.
- Ecological Risk Assessments.
- Development of area specific Rehabilitation Plans.
- Regulatory liaison an reporting.
- Technical expert witness statements during regulatory action.